Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Week At Home

I can't believe what a busy week we've had. As I sit here tonight it seems like forever since I typed my last blog. The kids started their first full week of school. I think we survived it okay. The school is a little different here. I know that a lot of the expat wives have told me about the lack of communication with the parents. They raise their kids to be very independent. So last week went something like this. They got told by a teacher that they were there too early and weren't allowed to be on the school propery yet. (Not their choice, as they get picked up by a bus that doesn't want to get stuck in a traffic jam.) Paige was told that she wasn't going to be allowed into school the next day if she didn't have a school ID or a parent with her. (We were never told about such a thing when we registered.) The final thing was a library card. Paige was so excited to be able to check out books. However, she had to check out books on her teachers card beacause she didn't have a library card. I had to fill out two library card sheets IN Deutche! Hello, we are the English class for a reason....we don't speak Deutche or French. Other than those few little hiccups we are looking forward to another week.

I've had my own adventures now that the kids are back in school. I started back to the gym regularly finding the gym closer to my house smaller and quieter. I decided that this was the week I found a hair dresser. I found a place to get my hair done in the Bizmarkplatz (a shopping area in Heidelberg). The name of the place was called Unisex. You decide by the name. It was like a moving piece of art. The people working were very....unique. Tons of tatoos and crazy colored hair. I took my chances because I was desperate and I think I like the place. It was interesting to watch as I was processing. My favorite thing was when a hairdresser stopped highlighting a clients hair to take a couple of drags off a cigarette from her friend outside. (Not happening in the US, very interesting.)

The rest of the week was busy having tea with the John Deere expat wives. Friday was a get together with all the expats for an evening of food and wine. Then comes Saturday.....cards with some friends. Euchre was the game last night. I am not a fan of cards. When asked by everyone if I had a good time, my response would have to be I need a xanex. It was really fun to get together with adults to laugh, eat, drink and play cards. We were also able to watch the Iowa Hawkeyes beat the Cyclones via slingbox at the party. They all enjoyed themselves so much it might happen again. Shoot,I'm going to need more practice.

Dan is off to The Netherlands this week until Wednesday then over to the US on Sunday. Now that the travel has begun I don't know that we will be traveling very much. However, Dan's mom and aunt are coming in late October with a full week of vacation planned...no destination or plans but Dan has commited to taking off.

Looking forward to another week here in Europe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment